We are committed to bringing hope to patients who suffer
from hematologic diseases through innovation. Our team
has built a pipeline of first-in-class therapies that each
have the potential to address a wide array of hematologic
diseases, ranging from rare genetic disorders to widely
prevalent anemias associated with chronic disease.
Bitopertin (GlyT1 Inhibitor) – Heme Synthesis Modulation
- Bitopertin is an oral, selective inhibitor of glycine transporter 1 (GlyT1). We are developing bitopertin as the potentially first disease-modifying therapy to treat erythropoietic porphyrias – a family of rare, genetic disorders caused by dysregulated heme synthesis.
- We obtained an exclusive global license for bitopertin from Roche in 2021, which established the clinical safety profile of bitopertin in over 4,000 patients. We initiated a phase 2 study in erythropoietic porphyria patients in 2022 and are planning additional studies in Diamond-Blackfan Anemia and other indications.
DISC-0974 (anti-HJV mAb) – Hepcidin Suppression
- DISC-0974 is a first-in-class, injectable mAb that inhibits signaling through hemojuvelin (HJV), a co-receptor required for hepcidin expression. We have demonstrated in numerous preclinical studies that DISC-0974 potently suppresses hepcidin production and are developing DISC-0974 to treat anemias of inflammation, initially for anemia of myelofibrosis.
- We obtained an exclusive global license for DISC-0974 from Abbvie in 2019. We initiated a first-in-human clinical study of DISC-0974 in healthy volunteers in 2021, a phase 1b / 2 study in patients with anemia of myelofibrosis in 2022 and are planning additional studies in patients with anemia of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and other indications.
MWTX-003 (anti-TMPRSS6 mAb) – Hepcidin Induction
- MWTX-003 is an injectable mAb that inhibits TMPRSS6 (Transmembrane Serine Protease 6, also known as Matriptase-2). Genetic studies show that TMPRSS6 affects red blood cell formation by controlling the level of iron that is available for erythropoiesis. MWTX-003 has demonstrated potent and durable suppression of serum iron and efficacy in animal models of beta-thalassemia and polycythemia vera (PV).
- We in-licensed MWTX-003 from Mabwell Therapeutics in 2022. The US FDA accepted the IND for MWTX-003 in November 2022 and we plan to initiate a phase 1 study in healthy volunteers in the second half of 2023.