Disc Medicine is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to discovering, developing, and commercializing novel treatments for patients who suffer from serious hematologic diseases. We are building a portfolio of innovative, first-in-class therapeutic candidates that aim to address a wide spectrum of hematologic diseases by targeting fundamental biological pathways of red blood cell biology, specifically heme biosynthesis and iron homeostasis. Disc Medicine values collaboration, professional development, and scientific integrity and promotes an inclusive company culture that empowers and inspires.
Disc Medicine has an exciting opportunity in our Finance team for an experienced, hands-on Controller. Reporting to the Vice President of Finance, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing accounting activities and financial reporting for our company. This person must be willing to roll up their sleeves, be team oriented, and is comfortable with wearing many hats.
As Controller, you will develop and maintain accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. You will manage and oversee a multitude of accounting activities, including general ledger preparation, monthly and quarterly closes, financial reporting, payroll, and audit and tax preparation. This role will be instrumental in providing internal financial accounting guidance and you will partner with cross functional leaders, including external partners.
- Prepare accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements in accordance with U.S. GAAP, to meet the Company’s external reporting obligations and internal reporting requests.
- Lead SEC reporting function, including preparation and filing of 10-Qs, 10-Ks, proxy, etc.
- Plan and manage quarterly review and annual audit processes including serving as primary contact with the Company’s external and internal auditors.
- Manage the monthly and quarterly close processes to ensure timely and accurate financial statements, including initiatives to shorten the close timeline.
- Review and approve journal entries, monthly account reconciliations, contracts, payments, payroll, etc.
- Maintain the Company’s internal controls program to ensure compliance with SOX requirements and monitor for improvement opportunities.
- Assist with the design and documentation of standard operating procedures.
- Plan and manage tax reporting, including statutory and legal entity requirements for both U.S. and international locations.
- Lead technical accounting assessments and derive proper accounting conclusions documented with technical memos.
- Ensure timely and accurate completion of the Company’s tax filings for federal, state, VAT/ GST and payroll tax obligations.
- Implement new software systems from time to time, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance or equivalent.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience in corporate and/or general accounting including international reporting experience and public company experience as controller.
- Pharma, biotech, or life sciences experience required.
- Big 4 Public Accounting experience preferred.
- Strong SEC Reporting and technical accounting and experience
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment and the flexibility to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Self-starter who understands the business and seeks to proactively bring accounting and financial expertise to business decisions.
- Experience with NetSuite (required) and experience with Shareworks, Prendio, ADP WorkForce Now (preferred).
Disc Medicine is an equal-opportunity employer committed to providing all qualified candidates and employees equal opportunities. We offer comprehensive benefits and competitive compensation packages. The Company headquarters are in Watertown, MA, and we provide a flexible work environment.
Disc Medicine actively recruits individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit and a drive for excellence. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Please note that agency phone calls or submissions will not be accepted.
* * *
Associate Director/Director, Bioan...
Vice President Quality Assurance
Senior Medical Director
Director, Global Regulatory Affair...